Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Olives & Preserved Lemon
Ingredients Serves 4
15 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken, cut in 8 to 10 pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, sliced thin
1 cinnamon stick
8 Calamata olives, pitted and halved
8 cracked green olives, pitted and halved
1 large preserved lemon (3/4 jar)
1 cup chicken stock
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Mix garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin and turmeric together.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Rub chicken with mixture, cover & chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in heavy frypan. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Add onions and cook over medium -low heat about 15 minutes, until
lightly browned. Transfer to casserole dish if you are using one,
or leave in frypan. Add cinnamon stick.
- Put chicken on onions. Scatter with olives.
- Quarter the lemons &cut skin in strips.
- Scatter over chicken. Mix stock and lemon juice. Pour over chicken.
- Cover, Place over low heat, and cook approx 30 mins, until chicken is done.
- Scatter parsley on top, and serve.